From U.S. Army Heraldic Crests: A Complete Illustrated History of Authorized Distinctive Unit Insignia By Barry Jason Stein
5th Maintenance Battalion
Design approved November 27, 1967
The star and cogwheel from the arms of Italy, and the
green from the national flag, commemorate the five
campaign honors for service in Italy in World War II.
The laurel leaves denote the Meritorious Unit Commendation.
The unit’s direct descent from the 5 th Ordnance Battalion
is shown by the projectile from the coat of arms of that
organization. The star refers to the unit’s reorganization
as a COSTAR unit while in the Republic of Vietnam. The
cogwheel also represents the unit’s mission and ability to
provide immediate coordinated response for maintenance and supply support.
Motto: IMMEDIATE RESPONSE
World War II:
Tunisia, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, North Apennines,
Defense, Counteroffensive Phases II/III/IV/V/
VI/VII, Tet & Tet/69 Counteroffensives, Summer-Fall 1969,
Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive.
Those members needing help
George Arakel looking for Daniel Maloney, 554th 1969
Gaspar Gonzalez would like to hear from anyone who knew his brother
Nelson Ramirez, a member of the 526th CC&S. He lost his life in a motar attack while TDY in Danang.
Michael Crowley Main Support Co is looking for any one who served with him in Tuy Hoa and remembers an ambush in late June, early July and also involved a Navy hitchhiker.
John K Eckmayer would like anyone who served with his father John S Eckmayer, Main Support '68, to get in touch with him.
Dick Webber would like anyone that knew his brother Sgt Carlton Webber in the 526 CC&S '68-'69 to get in touch with him.
Faustino Valenzuela Jr. Would like to hear from anyone who knew his uncle, Pvt Pedro Valenzuela, in the 526th CC+S. He died in the April 9th 1968 sapper attack.
Rachel Hardin Patterson would like to hear from anyone who knew her father, SSgt Kenneth A Hardin, in the 526th CC+S. He died in the April 9th 1968 sapper attack.
Gary Thomas Needs help with PTSD. Records N/A He needs someone who remembers him in 554th
Del Cannon Needs help with VA claim from anyone that remembers him
Roy Sharpe Needs help with PTSD from anyone who remembers
him from the CC&S CO in Charang Vally
These are the latest members to sign the guest book
- John P. Linsten------------------554TH Maint Co April 1966 - May 1967
- JOHN MARK WEIR------------552nd Maint Co Feb 1968-Feb 1969
- James Brown--------------------552nd Maint Co 1966-Sept 1968
- Woodrow (Woody) Middleton-- 526th CC&S/ E Co Trp Cmd, July 68-July69
- Bill Wiggins------------------560th Maint Co Jan 68 - Jan 69
- Michael Crowley-------------Hq & Main Support Co Sept 68 - July 69
- James Spencer--------------526th CC&S Feb 68 - Feb 69
- Dick Sperling----------------526th CC&S May 68 - Nov 68
- Randy Vogel-----------------560th Maint Co/552nd Maint Co--Dec 68- July 70
- Jack Summers---------------526th CC&S---65-66